September 10, 2010

Topaz Review of Calypso Lemonade


Topaz Review of Calypso Lemonade




For this review, I tried the Kiwi flavor.


I really adore Calypso. Ever since I was a small child I LOVED lemonade. Now, Calypso offers a unique tasting adventure that will have you trying all of the flavors. I admire the way Calypso uses real cane sugar as opposed to the usual high-fructose corn syrup. I also, as always, enjoy the glass bottle.


TASTE
Calypso is very good at blending their traditional lemonade flavor with the various fruit flavors that they have to offer. When you take a sip, you first taste the lemonade, and then over time, the kiwi flavor becomes more dominant. The bottle claims that Calypso has 'Taste of the Islands' and I must agree, as this is some of the best lemonade I have ever had. It is a bit on the tart side, but I am partial to sourness. Calypso uses real lemons, as opposed to flavor, which is probably the best thing about the taste. This makes Calypso have such a natural feel, something that is uncommon these days.


89/100


TEXTURE
Within the premises of a bottle of Calypso is a happy place I like to call Pulp Land. Calypso has very delicious lemon pulp in it, which is probably the most notable thing about its texture. Otherwise, It's what you would expect from REAL lemonade. Other non-lemonades made from powder ruin the texture, and you can sometimes feel the powder in the drink, and I am happy that this is not the case with Calypso.


70/100


PACKAGING
Calypso comes in a glass bottle, with a clear sticker stuck flush onto it. It's appealing to the eye. I really like the art style for the font, and the simple impressionist art of the fruit. It implies a fun, yet sophisticated drink, and makes you want to try it! I was disappointed that Calypso is on the bottom row of the drink fridge at 7-11. More people need to see it. I also like the iguana that is on the cap, wearing a straw hat, and sunglasses. He is holding a bottle of Calypso of course, only with his tail! [It's trademarked.]


75/100


OVERALL EXPERIENCE
I was pleased with Calypso. I love the flavor-engineering, the pulp, and the awesome art. Calypso is completely independent from any major beverage corporation, and they do what they do very well. The only real complaint that I have with Calypso is that they use artificial color for flavor effect, as the color always matches the flavor. This is fun, but not completely natural. This is a minor gripe, but it's still annoying to me because they did everything else right. They have glass bottles, no high-fructose corn syrup, and they use real lemons. Very impressed overall.


TOTAL SCORE (not an average)
80/100


No comments:

Post a Comment