May 27, 2011

Topaz Review of GUAYAKI YERBA MATE Enlighten Mint

When I first saw the can, I didn't know what to expect from Enlighten Mint. I got the idea that it was a tea beverage, but that's about it. Proudly displayed on the front of the can is "Powerful Rainforest Experience" That sounds like something I would write! I decided to take the drink up on its offer, and was greeted with something that I was not expecting.

Taste
First of all, Mate is something that I'm already somewhat familiar with. At The Next HOPE convention in NYC, I was lucky enough to sample a few bottles of CLUB-MATE. This YERBA MATE beverage reminds me of CLUB-MATE quite a lot, with some of the only differences coming from the mint flavor, and the sweetness. CLUB-MATE is extremely bitter, while YERBA MATE is bitter still, but has a tinge of sweetness. I wouldn't go as far as to call it 'bittersweet' however. It's a very unique taste, and if you can get past the bitterness, it's worth a try. Very smooth down the throat, with no burning.

Can
As you can see, the can is an experience all its own. In fact, you really have to think about what is shown to make any sense of it. What is that woman holding? It looks somewhat like a juice pouch. Actually, it's called a bombilla, or bomba; and it's like a straw with a tea filter on the end. The font is very nice looking, as is the background. It sets the mood for flavor to come. Everything seems quite glossy on the can, and the font actually makes it seem even more so.

Final Thoughts
YERBA MATE is definitely a fun ride, especially if you already enjoy MATE drinks. It might come as somewhat of a shock at first, but once you take a few more sips it becomes enjoyable. It's an acquired taste for sure, but that doesn't mean it's bad. If you can find it, give it a try. Be warned however, it's not for everybody.

75/100


MANUFACTURER'S SITE
MORE INFO

No comments:

Post a Comment